Thursday, May 20, 2010

Broccoli bonanza

Now I'm not a vegetable girl myself. I don't mind them hidden in stuff, or raw, but a pile of steamed or boiled greens sitting on my plate without being drowned in a good salty sauce is not my idea of dinner. Mae, on the other hand, has proved herself to be made of sterner stuff than her Mum by absolutely demolishing not one but TWO florets of broccoli yesterday. Oh my.

Mae actually grabbed at the flowery bit and shoved the stork in first. She then kind of half chewed, half sucked, going back for several bites until she couldn't hold it in her hand anymore. Needless to say, mini florets of broccoli were left strewn from the kitchen to the cat's waterbowl. But the next day - result! There were unmistakable bits of broccoli in her nappy. They kind of came out as they went in, but at least some went in. Does this mean she knows how to swallow food now, or was it just a stroke of luck that some slipped down?

Learnings:
  • Cut the florets quite big so there is more to grab onto (see pic for optimum size)
  • Steam till they're soft (at least 15 mins). If in doubt, steam some more

1 comment:

  1. I had to smile when I read this. I too am pretty turned off by the thought of plain steamed broccoli, but it was the first thing my LO actually seemed to love!

    ReplyDelete