Monday, November 15, 2010

Birthday special

"Where have you been?!" I hear you cry. Well we've been busy, OK?!

Actually Mae has been busy eating pasta bows and broccoli and I didn't think you'd want to hear any more about that. Meanwhile I've been busy applying for jobs and that zaps my ability to cook exotic things. Plus she has continued to reject pretty much anything that has more than two ingredients. But I will give you the highlights of the last month in brief:

Favourites:
  • Cherry tomatoes, cut in half. Can eat about 12 cherry tomatoes in one sitting
  • Blueberries. Entire punnet eaten whilst in shopping trolley in Safeway last Wednesday
  • Cucumber. Yes, finally she has top and bottom teeth so can bite harder foods
  • Entire pears, including the core, eaten like a real person
  • Cream cheese, cucumber and avocado sandwiches
  • Butter beans, straight out the can served on a dirty picnic blanket. Once again, we are in the 12-15 region in one sitting

Most rejected
  • Eggs
  • French toast! (who rejects french toast for egg's sake?!)
  • Potatoes in all forms apart from chips
  • Pumpkin
  • Sweet potato
  • Her own birthday cake
Because yes indeed, Mae is now one year old! To celebrate this momentous occasion, I slaved over this hungry caterpillar cake (fitting choice, yes?):


And she took one bite and chucked it on the floor:


But the fact that she rejects anything that lurid is totally fine with me!

Hang on a minute, I do believe jelly snakes (AKA hungry caterpillar's mouth) are fairly lurid, and clearly not rejected:



Yes, must be my cooking after all.

Mae is kind of toddling (a bit like a happy-drunk zombie) and can even climb up stairs. Nothing will stop her speed-crawling around, not a nappy change or a cuddle or a story. Well, nothing but food. I'm so glad we've raised a little foodie who will happily give up racing for a precipice when she hears the cry, "sultanas!" and will don her pelican in order to speed-eat a range of healthy foodstuffs several times a day. Just got to polish my cooking skills and work out how to truly hide an egg, and "Extremely Junior Masterchef", here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment