Thursday, July 29, 2010

I scream

We are on holiday, it's summer, and it's actually quite hot over here. Everyone else is doing it so why can't Mae? Yes, it's time for her first ice cream. Well, sort of. My Mum has stacked the freezer with mini Magnums for the adults and Mini-Milks for the kids. I check the ingredients - it's pretty much just milk and a bit of sugar. From all the reading I've done, I've worked out that salt is way worse for babies than sugar. Too much salt can damage kidneys, where too much sugar just rots your teeth and makes you fat. Seen as Mae only has half a tooth, and I'm not worried a little bit of sugar in an ice lolly is going to make her fat, I decide she can join that realms of those who have lived and those who have not, and give her a Mini Milk.

Mae sits on her Auntie Meg's knee and I give her the wooden bit of the stick, helping to guide the ice cream into her mouth whilst her audience looks on with anticipation - how will she react to this mouth-numbing-yet-mouth-watering deliciousness? A camera captures what no words can describe:




The cold is startling, causing this priceless moment, yet the sweetness that quickly follows is divine. Her crumple-face turns to delight as she reaches for the ice cream again, and again, and again. Oh dear, I think we've created a sugar-crazed monster - I wonder if she will ever eat broccoli again?!

1 comment: