Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tofu and brocciflower

I'm never quite sure what counts as genetically modified food, and why it's necessarily always bad, because as Mae and I are doing a trolley dash in Safeway, I spot a food that seems to have been modified especially for Mae. Brocciflower! I kid you not, it is an exact mixture of broccoli and cauliflower, making for basically a green cauliflower. Two of our most successful foods married into one nutritious nugget of luridness. It cannot fail!


I steam up giant florets and give two to Mae, along with some of last night's tofu that I saved for her. The tofu is one of those marinated ones that we had in a Chinese style stirfry (honey and soy flavour) but I wash it to rid it of honey/MSG/general badness on it.

Faced with a choice, even though the brocciflower is so jolly-looking, she chooses tofu. And eats it. Two 10cm x 1cm strips down the hatch. Then she attacks the brocciflower, ignorant to the fact this vegetable has astounded her mum (and surely all shoppers in Safeway today) with its novelty. Hard to say how much she actually eats, but I'd say at least one floret has been downed.

One more day until "doing the aeroplane" takes on an altogether different meaning in baby food lingo!

No comments:

Post a Comment