Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mum and Mae do lunch

Today, Mae and I actually shared our lunch for the first time. She has started going down for her lunchtime nap a bit later (and sleeping for longer at this one - hurray! But I digress - naps is another blog) and so this means her lunch can fall after midday, when I'm actually hungry too!

I'd been thinking about cheese on toast with baked beans all morning, then it occurred to me she could have that too. Finally, we are getting towards what this baby-led weaning thing is all about! Babies eating what we eat, when we eat!

The beans are low-salt beans, but the cheese is full strength vintage strong and bitey cheddar. I prepare one slice of cheese on toast for Mae, cut off the crusts (I probably don't need to but I do because they always seem like they could get stuck if inhaled) and then cut the rest into 3 fingers. I mush up the beans and pat them onto the fingers, then we sit down and I give her a finger, while I eat mine with a knife and fork. She seems thrilled that we're eating the same thing at the same time and watches me intently as she sucks her cheesy, beany toasty fingers. This is her favourite meal since the fasta pasta. She eats all 3 bits apart from a few gummy bready remains down her front. It felt really good to hang out with her and do lunch like mums and daughters do!

Learnings:
  • Babies can eat strong and bitey cheddar and love it!
  • Having lunch together is real fun

No comments:

Post a Comment